This is a follow-up to the last article...taken off a forward on the school Yahoo group.
10 Biggest Brain Damaging Habits
1. No Breakfast (I have breakfast every single morning…I swear)
People who do not take breakfast are going to have a lower blood sugar level. This leads to an insufficient supply of nutrients to the brain causing brain degeneration
2. Overeating (Hardly a problem with me)
It causes hardening of the brain arteries, leading to a decrease in mental power.
3. Smoking (NO CHANCE!!)
It causes multiple brain shrinkage and may lead to Alzheimer disease.
4. High sugar consumption (I doubt it)
Too much sugar will interrupt the absorption of proteins and nutrients causing malnutrition and may interfere with brain development .
5. Air pollution (IISc is about as green as it should be)
The brain is the largest oxygen consumer in our body. Inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen to the brain, bringing about a decrease in brain efficiency
6. Sleep deprivation (8 hrs of sleep on average)
Sleep allows our brain to rest. Long term deprivation from sleep will accelerate the death of brain cells.
7. Head covered while sleeping (I am guilty of this)
Sleeping with the head covered increases the concentration of carbon dioxide and decrease concentration of oxygen that may lead to brain damaging effects
8. Working your brain during illness (Not working my brain at all)
Working hard or studying with sickness may lead to a decrease in effectiveness of the brain as well as damage the brain.
9. Lacking in stimulating thoughts (Can hardly complain of this in IISc…by the way what is meant by “stimulating thoughts”??)
Thinking is the best way to train our brain, lacking in brain stimulation thoughts may cause brain shrinkage
10. Talking rarely.(I participate in rather intellectual conversations I guess)
Intellectual conversations will promote the efficiency of the brain